Unfortunately when I tried to make her walk she went completely pidgeon-toed. I think it's the knees: the joints I made are just too loose. Rather than fix them, (a highly complicated job) I took off the feet and re-attached them yet again in a more turned out position. Now when she walks the toes go straight and it looks quite acceptable. Her legs still walk strangely but it's hard to know how much is my amatuer puppetteering and how much is my dodgy handcrafting.
She is, inspite of my amatuerish beginning, very delightful, and as I took her for my first practice walk/play, Jesse was mesmerised - he happily played with her for ages, including taking her for a ride in his doll's stroller, asking her to paint his matroshka dolls, and giving her a hug when she asked for one! Maybe my practice sessions will turn out to be fun for Jesse too.
It's been seven days of intensive work when I've made use of every possible moment I can get ahold of to work on her, and before that another seven days of thinking about her and doing little bits here and there. I feel exhausted from the intensity, and am happy to do a bit of a stocktake on my life.