I finally got myself organised and gave Bronwyn her first painting session today. For the first ten minutes I had this sick, sinking feeling that there was no way this was ever going to work. The paint just wasn't going on properly, I could barely get it onto the brush in the first place, and it looked like the random scribbles of a two year old. However, with some experimentation I discovered that adding more water thinned the paint and made it go on more easily, and I was also able to work out a set of movements that resulted in actual paint on canvas. This is the final result of her first session. It looks like she's graduated to a primary-schooler. I also managed to get paint on her face (argh! But it mostly came off with the aid of a toothbrush) and to spray paint over her hessian floor, several other of her props, and the veranda and kitchen door. What a clean up! I can see the suitcase is going to need to contain sufficient clean up gear as well as props.
After she'd finished painting I set Bronwyn aside and painted a background for her next painting. It's red and a tawny gold colour. I hope she'll be able to add a design so that it actually looks like an aesthetically pleasing abstract work, but we'll see how we go with that. I'm itching to get back to work and do her next painting session tomorrow.