I'm so frustrated trying to make the head for my next puppet, destined to be Martha Grimstone's mother, the elegant and grieving Velvetta Grimstone. The top head was my first dummy head - not bad. Slight flattening above her mouth which I vowed to fix in my next edition. The problem is, I've since been sculpting the final version and just can't get one I'm happy with. The middle head was my first attempt, but she's come out rather hawkish. Not too bad front on, but from the side she definitely looks hawkish, even Paula picked it up. Also I made the head too small, so it's the same size as Martha's. No go. The bottom one is my most recent attempt. I whacked some paint on it yesterday to see if the paint would improve it, but didn't finish it when I realised there was no hope. How did her mouth turn out so severe? The original dummy head is at least quite pretty. But I can't use that because it's made of clay and is far too liable to break. This afternoon's project is to see if I can put a thin layer of papier mache over the top of the dummy head and peel it off when it's dry. I'm hoping a generous coat of vaseline will prevent it from sticking. Making a head takes about 5 or 6 hours of my time, spread over four or five days, so I'm pretty keen to get it finished. Velvetta's dress is waiting for her. And my lovely friend Andy popped in last night with Mortimer's legs so soon I can finish him off too.
At last I have three hours of precious time alone in the house, three hours in which to power ahead with my puppets, but now I'm tired! Argh. So here I am on the couch with my computer doing a quick blog entry while I recharge. The plan is to paper the dummy head, then set that aside to dry, and work on Mortimer's legs and boots. I don't expect I'll get any more than that done today. Should I be so lucky, I'll take a look at the baby, a little boy named Crumpet.