Well - I did it! Finished my angora singlet. I'm mighty proud of this piece. It represents the first of my attempts to create a fully sustainable practical garment. The fur came from the Rabbit People, from whom I bought my rabbit. They gave it to me when I told them I was planning to spin the fur of my bunny - something to practise on while I waited for my bunny's fur to grow. I'm not really into wearing white, but I thought this could work as thermal underwear.
I'm stunned, absolutely stunned, at how beautifully the neckline and shoulderline turned out. The front is just as lovely, but I'm not showing you a photo of that because this singlet is totally see-through! I made up this pattern myself, since I couldn't find a singlet pattern light and airy enough, knitted on big enough needles, to suit my purposes. It's my very first knitting pattern, and I was ready for all sorts of failures.
The cast on did fail though - it was too tight. Luckily the same day I finished knitting the singlet, I was going to my aunt's place for dinner. She's a whiz-bang knitter, and knew just the trick for unpicking my cast-on and knitting down from there. When I cast off, it turned out to have a pretty scalloped edge, thanks to the rabbit tracks lace pattern I used in the body of the garment.
I finished this just in time for a cold snap, and got to test it out. Yes, it's toasty warm under my clothes, and silky smooth against my skin. Mmmmm...
My arms got cold though. So now, onto the next part of this project... to knit some sleeves. Yes, ultimately I want this to be a spencer, not a singlet, but the idea of embarking on a spencer from scratch was just too much for me, so I decided to pretend to myself it was a singlet first! There's been about four weeks of work in this - spinning the yarn took three, and the knitting was whipped up in just one week, thanks to the lovely big needles I used.